A new reality and new possibilities of life after 50. Live fast, live long.
Photo: Magdalena Wszelaki for The Fine Line
ageist CONTRIBUTORS | april 19, 2018
medicinal mushroom pizza
I was determined to find a pizza recipe that did not depend on grains, nuts, yeast, eggs, or tomatoes and still tasted good. After exactly two full days and 16 attempts, I found it. Made with herbal pesto and a medicinal mushroom topping, the recipe is paleo and autoimmune protocol compliant, which means you can enjoy it even if you have a nightshade sensitivity (it is tomato free). Both toppings are loaded with liver-supporting herbs.
I cut parchment paper into a 10-inch circle to guide me on how much to spread the crust dough. To save time, buy cashew meal or grind the nuts or seeds in larger quantities and freeze them for future use. — Magdalena Wszelaki
For the crust:
1 c raw sunflower seeds or raw cashew nuts ½ c filtered room temperature water 2 Tbsp whole psyllium husk 1½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil ¼ tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Pulse the sunflower seeds or cashews in a blender until they are the consistency of flour.
3. In a large bowl, combine the pulsed seeds (or nuts) with the water, psyllium husk, olive oil, and salt; knead with your hands. The dough will be runny.
4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the dough on the parchment paper and spread it using your fingertips to form a round 10-inch crust. If the dough sticks to your fingers, dip them in water and continue.
5. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread on the topping.
For the topping:
2 Tbsp herbal pesto (you can easily improvise with detoxifying herbs such as basil, cilantro, and parsley; dandelion leaves; walnuts; olive oil; and lemon or lime zest and juice) ¾ c sliced shiitake mushrooms ¾ c sliced maitake or oyster mushrooms ½ c thinly sliced leeks (white part only) 1½ tsp dried tarragon 2 Tbsp coconut aminos 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 2 tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1. In a circular motion, spread the pesto onto the crust.
2. In a medium bowl, add all of the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Spread the mixture evenly over the crust.